U.S. soldier killed in Afghanistan, Taliban claims responsibility

Afghan security forces inspect the site of an attack in a U.S. military air base in Bagram north of Kabul Afghanistan

American service member killed in action in Afghanistan

Family members of United States service members who were killed or wounded in Afghanistan sued a number of prominent contractors on Friday that worked to rebuild the country post-invasion, accusing them of funneling millions of dollars in payments to the Taliban for protection that funded the group's attacks on American troops in the region.

His death brings the number of American deaths in Afghanistan this year to 20.

It has been widely known for years that money from American defense contractors has found its way to local Afghan warlords in the wake of the US invasion of the country.

The report added that not only is MTN accused of paying money to the Taliban, it also allegedly deactivated its cellular network at night at the Taliban's request. The ceasefire is expected to last for 10 days.

Turkey presses Russian Federation for new truce in Syria's Idlib
It followed a Turkish ground offensive aimed at forcing Kurdish fighters away from the Turkish border. Trump praised Turkey's efforts, tweeting that Ankara "is working hard to stop this carnage".

United States negotiator Zalmay Khalilzad talks with a Taliban delegation.

The Taliban have long viewed Ghani as an American stooge and have refused to negotiate with him, leading many to fear that fighting will continue even if the U.S. secures an eventual deal with the militants. They will likely decide what a post-war Afghanistan will look like, and what role the Taliban will play. It was then that he proposed a temporary halt to hostilities to pave the way to an agreement being signed, according to Taliban officials.

The temporary ceasefire had been proposed by US envoy Khalilzad during the last round of talks. AP's previous story is below.

Twenty-seven members of a peace group who were kidnapped as they travelled in western Afghanistan have been released, local media say. The Taliban has since claimed responsibility for the attack. They targeted a local militiamen compound in northern Takhar province on Sunday, killing at least 17 Afghan militiamen.

Search For 2 Missing In Deadly Eruption Suspended: New Zealand Police
The two victims' families have been informed and police said they remained ready to respond if new information came to light. They also thanked the police, healthcare professionals and the New Zealand public for their assistance and support.

The Taliban have previously refused all Afghan government offers of a ceasefire, with the exception of a three-day truce in June 2018 over the Eid al-Fitr holiday.

According to report, a "key pillar" of the potential deal will be direct negotiations between the Taliban and the Afghan government to shape the future of the war torn country.

On Monday, a U.S. soldier was killed in combat in the northern Kunduz province. President Trump ended conversations in September following a separate attack, which killed a US solider and 11 others.

A similar attack killed six Afghan soldiers on Thursday, when a suicide bomber detonated his vehicle laden with explosives outside an army compound in the northern Balkh province.

Turkey offers condolences to Kazakhstan for plane crash
The ASN said the airline was added to the European Union's list of banned air carriers in 2008 but was removed in December, 2016. The year before that, 27 people died when a military plane carrying Kazakh security officials crashed in the country's south.

Provincial spokesman Omar Zawak confirmed the attack and said the soldiers were killed by the powerful blast inside the base.

Latest News